What is T-Hunting & ARDF?
About Us
News & Announcements
Upcoming Hunts
Previous Hunt's Report
Hunt Report Archive
Equipment Ideas
2001 ARDF Championships
Contact Us!



2001 Hunt Reports


T-hunt report for: December 2, 2001
Huntmaster: Mike K5ATM

Hard to believe it is December 2nd.

A light coat was all I needed to keep warm during the hunt. We had six teams hunting today Jack (KC5OEO) and Bill Elliott Scott (KC5VVB) Dick (W5VFZ) and Chan (WB1Q) Jerry (WB8WFK) Steve (AA5CJ) and John (N5NFY) Joe (AB5YC) Two transmitters were set up. One on 2 meters and one on 80 meters. Both were 100 yards or so from the Spring Creek Trail Head in the foot hills near the tram and almost due west of the peak. The trail head is at 35d 11.85m north by 106d 29.47m west. For what it is worth, Street Atlas gives 15 miles as the shortest distance from the start point to the trail head parking area (I25 to Paseo Del Norte to Tramway to the hunt site).

The two meter transmitter was operating at 100mW. The 2 meter antenna was a thin wire dipole antenna threaded into the interior of a V shaped piece of dead cactus. Debbie and I found the cactus on Saturday when we surveyed the site. It had two nice arms with a nice root ball at the base of the V. I was able to drill two small holes in the root ball and thread the dipole elements into the arms through the base. The antenna was connected through RG174 coax to the transmitter which was completely burred about 3 feet away. The antenna feed line was also carefully burred. I did not get any of the reflections I was hoping for but the low power, intermod from the transmitters on the peak, and all the twisty little roads in the area did cause some problems.

The first Team I saw was Jack and Bill when they drove into the parking area of the trail head at 2:50. At nearly the same time, Jerry and the team of Steve and John entered the hunt field on foot from the south. All 5 of these hunters converged on the transmitter at the same time. Dick and Chan were next to arrive. I did not note the exact time but is was approximately 3:30. They were followed by Scott (who walked in from heaven knows where) then Joe. Several hunters had a chance to sniff the 80 meter transmitter and Dick got the opportunity to field test his new Fox Finder 80 (which seemed to work pretty well).


Team Call Miles
Scott KC5VVB 13.6 WINNER
Dick and Chan W5UFZ 15.2
Jerry WB8WFK 15.3
Steve and John AA5CJ and N5BFX 15.3
Jack and Bill KD5OEO 17.8
Joe AB5YC 27.2

So Scott is the next hunt master -- which scares me since Debbie and I had a DNF last time he hid.

Now a word on sniffing etiquette -- and I don't mean to start a long thread on the subject. I spent quite a bit of time constructing the antenna and blending the antenna into the natural vegetation. When I went back to check on things (in the time before Scott and Joe arrived) I found the antenna moved a foot or so from where I left it. It was laying down on the ground with one arm broken, the feed wire had been unburied, and the dipole elements had been partially pulled out. I suspect this really cut down the signal to Joe and Scott and the damage would have deprived them the opportunity to try and find the antenna if I had not gone back and repaired the damage as best I could. I would like to ask the hunters to please be careful when they know they are close to the transmitter and to leave the sniff area the same as they find it. Moving stuff to verify the antenna location is OK -- just be careful and put things back.

OK enough whining. Scott -- I am looking forward to your hunt.


T-hunt report for: November 17, 2001
Huntmaster: Mike K5ATM


Saturday proved to be a beautiful day after the rains we had during the week. The site was a park on the east side of the river and the north side Rio Bravo Blvd. The 2m transmitter was hidden under a some branches on the ground with the rubber duck horizontal about 4" about the ground. The 80m transmitter was at the other end of the park with the antenna draped over a branch stub with about 10" overlap. The 80m was not heard at the start point. The first to arrive was Scott. But Mike and Debbie came in with the shortest mileage.

Mike K5ATM provided me with the following: "For what it is worth, I used Street Atlas to get the following data: Shortest path was 7 miles

Yale to Lomas
Lomas to Locust
Locust to I-25
I-25 to Cesar Chavez
Cesar Chavez to 2nd
2nd to Rio Bravo
Rio Bravo to near Poco Loco

The trail head was at N35d 1.66'W106d 40.180' Hunt site was about 5.4 miles as crow flies Best bearing from start was ~210 degrees true.


Team Call Miles
Scott KC5VVB 9.3
Mike K5MJE 10.5
Dick W5UFZ 12.5
Jerry WB8WFK 12.9
Steve AA5CJ 14.0

Thanks to all who came out to my first hide.


T-hunt report for: November 4, 2001
Huntmaster: Mike K5ATM and Debbie KD5LOK

The weather was great for the first weekend in November. Skies were a bit dark to the east but clear over the hunt site and to the west. The temperature was quite comfortable. Debbie, my son Steve, and I set up two transmitters in a park on the east side of Rio Grande 1.5 miles north of Montano (35d 9.593m, -106d 39.242m). One transmitter was set to 80 meters, operated as MOE, and placed near a tree on the west side of the park. The second transmitter was set to the normal 2 meter hunt frequency, operated as MOE, and was placed about 20 feet off the ground in a tree on the east side of the park near the tennis courts.

The 2 meter transmitter was operating at 1 watt with a "rubber duck" angled at about 45 degrees to the west. For whatever reason, the 2 meter signal seemed to behave funny. Scott, Joe, and Steve all reported funny signals near the river and all spent a little time on the west side. Jack, on the other hand, being new and not understanding all the analysis needed to participate in a hunt, pretty much drove straight to the transmitter ;-)

For what it is worth, Street Atlas says the shortest path was 8 miles by taking University to Candelaria to 4th street to Montano to Rio Grande.


Team Call Miles
Steve AA5CJ 23
Joe AB5YC 24.4
Scott KC5VVB 30

All the hunters sniffed out the 2 meter transmitter quickly. I had hoped that the combination of being so far off the ground and near the tennis court chain link fences would make things more difficult. 80 meter equipment was available at the finish for hunters to practice sniffing out an 80 meter transmitter. Jerry (WB8WFK) was tied up with another engagement at the beginning of the hunt but became free after the official start time. He reported he could hear the 80 meter transmitter from his QTH with his Fox Finder 80 -- so, just for fun (and to see how the 80 meter signal behaved around town), he decided to DF the the transmitter with 80 meter equipment. Jerry arrived about the same as Jack.

Congratulations to Jack on his first win.

T-hunt report for: Saturday September 15, 2001
Huntmaster: Jerry Boyd, WB8WFK

The turnout today was very good. Looks like we had 8 teams hunting !

The transmitters were located on the west mesa just a little north of Southern and west of Rio Rancho. I had two transmitters (MOE and MOI) on the air in a two-cycle format. MOE was on a turnstile antenna and MOI was on a rubber duck antenna.

While I was awaiting the hunters I made some satellite contacts via UO-14 ( VE6EGN and AB7IC). The results are as follows:

Team Call Miles Time at site
Joe AB5YC 21.95 10:37am
Ralph & John KB5ENN & NM5RC 31.7 12:27pm
Steve AA5CJ 22 11:45am
Mike K5MJE 17.9 WINNER 11:00am
Dick W5UFZ 30.5 10:52am
Scott KC5VVB 41.8 11:54am
Mike K5ATM Not recorded at start 11:05am

I should have picked up the other ARDF transmitters from Mike, as this was a good site (and a nice day) for a 5-transmitter on foot hunt. Well next time. Looks everyone also had fun with the 2 meter ARDF receivers. Looked like a Ron Graham convention!

Also had some talk about getting the schedule for on foot hunts worked out. Sound like fun to me. Mike (MJE) will be the next hunt master.

Jerry, WB8WFK

T-hunt report for: September 2, 2001
Huntmaster: Scott, KC5VVB

It was a beautiful day for a T-Hunt, if not a bit warm. I set up the fox south of the airport, north of the 4 wheeler climbing hill, and northwest of the Montessa Park convenience center. This site is at the very bottom of the (big side of the) Albuquerque Rand McNally map, and requires going off the map on your approach. This area is a low, sandy valley. From the fox site I could see the top 1/3 of the Sandias, while Albuquerque was out of site below the adjacent mesa, meaning it would be in the shadows of the fox signal. I hoped this would be a challenging hunt, and it seems it was more so than I had anticipated.

To my surprise, no one could hear the fox at low power (1 watt, I think). At high power (4.5 watts, I think) still no joy. I finally moved the fox to the top of a knoll I had hoped would shield the signal from the valley mouth. From here, Mike K5ATM reported that everyone could just barely hear the signal - enough for a bearing. Just. Relief. Jerry showed up rather quickly, followed by Eric, and eventually Joe. All had no trouble sniffing both Foxes. MOE was poorly hid on the hilltop. It was one of our Championship foxes feeding a northerly pointed Arrow Yagi. The antenna was loaned by Richie KC5NZR. MO was the second fox, another Championship Fox Box set to low power with a Rubber Duck. This fox was hidden in a rusted, shot up old barrel that was adjacent to the nearby railroad tracks.

Jerry WB8WFK 11.9
Eric KD5IAG 31.2
Joe AB5YC 40.1

Joe AB5YC commented that he had never heard a fox hidden in the Montessa Park area sound quite like this one, the reflections seemed unusual to him, and lead him to the Tramway/Bear Canyon area. He finally headed south, apparently just to try something different. Jerry had a week signal on the correct bearing from the start point, and gambled on heading south. Good instincts. I hate that about Jerry. Eric said he finally picked up the signal on the correct bearing from Tramway. I think this was with his copper tubing beam. Everyone else seemed to head for the Northeast Heights and stay there. Sorry guys. This is a hunt that had a weak signal throughout town. The guys with superior Yagis seemed to fair better than the tape measure beam crowd. Thanks for hunting guys. I'll see you next time - gotta try out my Ron Graham. Jerry's hiding! Scott KC5VVB

T-hunt report for: August 18, 2001
Huntmaster: Joe, AB5YC

Greetings All. I hid two transmitters on the mesa above Taylor Ranch on Saturday. Didn't try too hard to be devious, thought I might get a little bounce off the mountain while the hunters were in the valley. No such luck. I had used this spot at least once before, so some of the experienced hunters may have figured out the pattern.

The primary transmitter, on 145.565, was hidden next to a very small arroyo and the fence to the open space. This site was located about a quarter mile south of the remote control airplane park. It was putting out about 200 mw into a J-pole antenna standing within 12 inches of the fence. The secondary transmitter, @ 145.465, was hidden about 400 feet east of the primary transmitter right where the little arroyo falls over the escarpment into Taylor Ranch. This transmitter was also putting out about 200 mw.

Someone mentioned that he was getting interference as he was trying to sniff the first transmitter and tuned off frequency. Apparently, he couldn't tell the modulations apart. Hmmmmmmm. Learn something new every time. Just lucky I guess. Maybe three transmitters, all synchronized, and 15 khz apart. Maybe next time.

Once again Jerry was first on the scene. He sneaked up on me and caught me out doing a little bird watching. He probably saw me before I saw him. He was parked at the model airplane park and was working his way down the West side of the fence toward transmitter one. At one point Jerry was swinging that new Australian DFer so fast that the elements were bent 90 degrees. Probably doesn't do much for the antenna pattern. Jerry then make quick work of the second transmitter. Next was Dick, W5UFZ. He came up the cliff and suprised me from behind. Dick's strategy involved some long range walking, as he parked at least a quarter mile away on the streets of Taylor Ranch. After that, the hunters started arriving quickly and I am hard pressed to assign the order:

Name Call Arrival Mileage
1 Jerry WB8WFK 10:15 14.9
2 Dick W5UFZ 10:40 11.8 Winner
3 Steve AA5CJ 11:10 12 John N5BFX
4 Brian N5ZGT 11:20 24.6 Katelyn H0TIE
5 Bill K1BP 11:25 15.2 Hunters from Scottsdale, Arizona Boni WT7Z
6 Ralph NM5RC 543.6 They forgot to reset the trip meter John KB5ENN
7 Mike K5ATM 33 Debbie KD5LOK
8 Scott KC5VVB 21

It looks like Dick had the winning, and perhaps tiring, strategy after all. There was a bit of confusion about Bill and Boni's final mileage. After tracing their route on the map their final mileage was adjusted up to the value reported above. These things happen, after all, Ralph and John broke most of the land speed records to get go 543.6 miles in only 2.5 hours. That pickup has more inside that shows on the outside, hi hi. Welcome to Bill and Boni. I hope you can come back for some more hunts in the future. However, your performance and skill demonstrated on Saturday could bruise some Albuquerque egos, hi hi. See ya at the hamfest. Hurry back. That's all for now.

73s, see everyone at the Hamfest! Joe AB5YC

T-hunt report for: June 16, 2001
Huntmaster: Ron, WB8UWB

It was nice to see so many out hunting, it was the most ever to show up for one of my hunts. The first one to show up was Jerry WB8WFK at about 10:08 coming from the south gate to the playing fields. I was watching from the concision stand, and he was coming right to me so I had to move.

The Frog was hiding in a fiberglass trash container.The T was on for a short time and Jerry walked past it and stopped for it to come back on and when it did he nailed it. Joe AB5YC and Rich showed up at about 10:20 and Jerry and I saw 3 more hunters hunting. We followed Joe around, he is so much fun to watch hunt. By the time we all got to about 50 feet of the T it was hard to watch them all going in all different ways, I lost Joe. Anyway it took about a half hour for them to find the T when Mike K5ATM & Debbie arrived. It took them a long time too. Mike was having a hard time so Jerry let him use his new outfit from Australia, and what a nice outfit it is too. The Frog was at a little league ball field just east of Coors on Sequoia Redlands Park.

Ralph NM5RC 8.7
Joe AB5YC 10.1
Jerry WB8WFK 10.35
Steve AA5CJ 11.0
Mike K5MJE 12.4
Mike K5ATM & Debbie 12.5
Dick W5UFZ 13.6

So glad to see our group getting bigger. From what I saw, every one had a good, close hunt, lots of fun. And the little boy that waited to the end to see the Frog. 73 to all. Ron WB8UWB

T-hunt report for: June 3, 2001
Huntmaster: Dick, W5UFZ

The fox was located at 35 11.208N, 106 39.112W. That is 1/2 mile north of Paseo del Norte and abt 1000 yards east of Coors, on the west side of the river. The fox ran 750 mw (3/4 watt for those in Palm Beach and Yorba Linda) to a 3 element Arrow antenna. The antenna was mounted horizontally in a tree and it was pointed to the Crest. The goal was to point the antenna to the Crest from behind a bluff that would not allow the signal to be heard directly from the start point. Additionally, I didn't want anyone to get a reading from the west until they were far to the north. It was also horizontal to foil the dopplers out there. As it turned out there were no doppler units on the hunt.

No one had showed up by 3:25PM. The fox went on the air at 1PM. So guess what, the huntmaster was pretty discouraged. A group of people showed up and decided to have the championship volleyball tournement next to my car. They wondered who the guy was that was sitting around there all afternoon. I got invited to play volley ball. Only 2 balls bounced off my car. I couldn't move the car because there was a van parked directly behind me and it supported one end of the volley ball net. Great fun. It was fun walking up and down the shore of the Rio Grande, looking for wildlife. A lot of people take their dogs there to run and fetch things in the water. The sign that said to keep dogs on leashes had bullet holes through it. I monitored the fox continuously. It was transmitting.

So about 3:25 PM I decided to do a QST. "Is there anyone out there still hunting for the fox?." I was ready to go QRT and pack it up. I also decided that maybe this was too hard, so changed the polarity of the antenna to vertical. At 3:35PM AA5CJ said, "we're still out here, keep it going."

Steve, AA5CJ and Jon, soon-to-be ham, arrived at 3:55PM. They found the fox at 4:05PM, 29 miles.
Ralph, NM5RC and John, KB5ENN arrived at 4:07PM and found the fox at 4:12PM, 24.8 miles.
Ron, WB8UWB arrived at 4:30PM and found the fox at 4:42PM, 14.45 miles. ( We talked a lot before he got serious.)

The last to arrive had the shortest mileage. Go figure. Anyway, in keeping with the current rules, and less the Crenshaw Factor, the winner is you Ron. Congratulations! You've got it next time! Thanks to all for the great effort. It was a long hunt in hot weather. (The huntmaster knew this would happen and had cool beverages at the end, hi.)

73 de Dick W5UFZ

T-hunt report for: May 6, 2001
Huntmaster: John, KB5ENN

After winning the previous hunt, Ralph, NM5RC, decided that he'd rather go camping, fishing, and working the US Islands contest from Lake Powell than hide a fox. So, I got hiding duties. Since Ginger and our two young children accompanied me with the hiding, we picked nice spot for a picnic. They day turned out to be nice, though the wind picked up some towards the end.

The fox antenna was woven, as Joe AB5YC described it, into a pine tree located at the Rio Bravo State Park. The park is just south of Rio Bravo and between Isleta Blvd and the Rio Grand. The antenna was vertically oriented dipole. The controller was in a hole underneath the tree with some leaves covering it. I set the transmitter to one Watt initially. About ten minutes after the start time, I got the report that the signal was not readable, and I kicked the power to five Watts. I understand that the signal then was still weak at the start point but readable.

Mike, K5ATM, mentioned that as they drove south, the signal went from weak to very strong as they passed a hill, which I assume was blocking the signal. The hunters started to arrive at the fox site about an hour after the start. Dick, W5FUZ, was the first to arrive. Very soon after Mike and Debbie, K5ATM/KD5LOK, arrived. Joe, AB5YC, and Steve, AA5CJ followed them.

Dick W5UFZ 9.3
Mike K5ATM/Debbie KD5LOK 9.3
Joe AB5YC 10.9
Steve AA5CJ ~30

Because of the mileage tie, Dick was declared winner for finding the fox first.

73, John Eldridge, KB5ENN

T-hunt report for: April 21, 2001
Huntmaster: Jerry, WB8WFK

The transmitter was located in an abandoned baseball field just north of the FAA flight control center. The city was using this field to store chipped wood. About 30 minutes after the hunt started a truck arrived and started adding wood to one of the piles (good thing it was not the one that had the transmitter in it). The antenna was a turnstile and the transmitter was running 1 watt. Both the transmitter and antenna was hidden in a pile of chipped wood. A fake transmitter (in plane view) was located about 10 feet from the real one. It had a control punch and a flag attached to it. The real transmitter also had a control punch. About 100 feet to the southwest was another control marker (without any transmitter) placed in view. An 80-meter transmitter was located on the other end of the field and it also had a control punch attached to it.

Joe and Rich were the first hunters arrive on site (9:45). Scott was next at 10:38.

John and Ralph KB5ENN and NM5RC 9.3 (Winner and gets to be next huntmaster)
Joe and Rich AB5YC (first to arrive on site) 10.4
Scott KC5VBB 12.2
Dick Chan W5VF and WB1Q 12.9
Mike and Debbie 32.8

I would like to propose the following to the local hunt group. Starting at the end of may I would like to have some on foot hunts to allow us to test out the equipment and scorekeeping software for the ARDF event. We could nave normal hunts followed by an on foot one or just have on foot ones until after the ARDF event. We could use areas down by the river to do it. We would have 5 transmitters operating and would use the starting procedures that will be used for the ARDF event. You don't have to run. Just think of it as a multiple sniff event. This would allow us to find and work out any bugs in the equipment or procedures that will be used for the ARDF event.

From my days in field test I have learned that there is nothing better then a dry run to find problems in a system or process. This also could also be a good opportunity to invite local hams out to try sniffing and T-hunting! We would have an opportunity to promote this at the tale gate next weekend. Brian how about that high school class that just got their ham licenses? A side effect could be more "T" hunters!

73's Jerry

T-hunt report for: April 1, 2001
Huntmasters: Mike, K5ATM and Debbie KD5LOK

Hunters were (in order of finish) 14.9 miles - Jerry (WB8WFK) 15.0 miles - Joe (AB5YC) and Rich (no call sign) 27.2 miles - Mike (K5MJE) 44.4 miles - Joe (WB8UWB) 50.7 miles - Dick (W5UFZ) and Chan (WB1Q) Chan, was visiting Albuquerque and encouraged to attend the hunt by Dick. This was Chan's first hunt since the '60s.

The Fox was located just west of Tramway and just south of Paseo Del Norte - next to the South Domingo Baca Dam (35 degrees 10.342 minutes north by 106 degrees 30.209 minutes west) This area of Arroyo Domingo Baca is quite deep with very steep sides. The area where the fox was located was well shielded from the start point and the surrounding major roads (20-30 feet or so below grade) yet offered a clear shot at the top of Sandia peek. The Fox was originally set to transmit at 0.1 watts through a tape measure antenna aimed at the peek and controlled with a modified Montreal Fox Controller. The controller was modified to (continuously) key up the radio, send a 200ms tone, unkey the radio and wait 2.5 seconds. The pattern was something like . . . It was hoped that the lack of a carrier between tones would make DFing difficult and foil the Dopplers.

Shortly after 1 pm Jerry called and reported that at least one hunter could not hear the Fox from the start point so power was increased to 0.25 watts.

Jerry was first on the scene at approximately 2:20 (honking his horn triumphantly at the Huntmasters). Jerry made quick work at sniffing out the transmitter and helped himself to a cold drink and a cheese / salami sandwich. Next to arrive were Joe and Rich(about 2:35). Joe also sniffed the fox quickly. The Doppler counter measure was only partially successful. Joe reported that his Doppler was not nearly as helpful as normal while Jerry had better success. Mike (K5MJE) was gracious enough to run APRS so the Huntmasters could enjoy his trip through the picnic grounds north of Tramway. After chasing ghosts for a while he got back on track and worked his way to the hunt site. Ron and Dick/Chan were both quite close to the hunt site when they apparently caught a signal to the west (we may have lit up the power line that runs along Paseo) and chased a ghost to the west side. Both eventually followed the signal back to the far north east part of the city and both arrived at the hunt site at about 4:50.

Neither team got a chance to sniff the fox though. We had reset the fox (is was due to time out in 15 minutes) and apparently a little dirt got into the DIP switch and placed the controller in an "on for 1 minutes and off for many minutes" mode. Both teams arrived as we were making repairs. So - the next Huntmaster is Jerry.

73 -Mike (K5ATM) and Debbie (KD5LOK)

T-hunt report for: March 17, 2001
Huntmaster: Steve, AA5CJ

Since this was my first time to hide, I had the "first day jitters" that something would go wrong. However, my concerns were unfounded and everything went smoothly. The transmitter was located in Calabacillas arroyo, just Northeast of the intersection of Irving and Lyons in Paradise Hills. The fox was running 100 milliwatts output power. The antenna was a horizontally polarized 11 element Yagi, located in some small bushes, at a height of about 2 feet. The antenna was camouflaged with olive drab crepe paper. The antenna was aimed approximately straight East, in the general direction of Sandia Crest. The antenna was located directly below some power lines. It appeared that excitation of the power lines may have caused some confusion.

The transmitter came on at 0900. The first hunters to arrive were Mike, K5ATM and Debbie, KD5LOK who appeared just before 1030. They were followed by Jerry, WB8WFK who was the first to locate the fox. The results were:

Finding Order Mileage Hunters
1 23.1 Jerry, WB8WFK
2 14.5 Mike, K5ATM & Debbie, KD5LOK
3 15.9 Dick, W5UFZ
4 28.7 Mike, K5MJE
5 Scott, KC5VVB

Mike and Debbie were the winners. Thanks to Jon Ashworth who lent a helping hand at the fox site. Special thanks to Mike, K5MJE for loaning me the ammunition box, the Montreal fox controller, and for helping me get the controller set up properly.

Best 73s, Steve AA5CJ

T-hunt report for: March 4, 2001
Huntmaster: Mike, K5MJE

Well, when hunt day came around, I had planned a little something special, but to my horror, I discovered that neither of my fox controllers were working. Mike, K5ATM, responded to a call and quickly emailed me the hex file for the controller. I reprogramed the PIC chip and everything appeared to be OK. But...this had put me in a crunch for time and I had to figure out something different for the hunt.

I eventually decided on a location that Jerry, WB8WFK, had used last year. Most of our newer hunters now have a few hunts under their belts and so I figured it was time for a good "bounce" hunt. The transmitter was located at 35 16' 27.0" North x 106 36' 15.3" West. I used a horizontally polarized 3 element yagi about 18 inches above the ground (in a bush). The transmitter was putting out 1 watt. Well, the bounce worked really well.

All hunters were drawn north-east. Most ended up all the way up by the La Luz picnic grounds. First to arrive at the T was Jerry, WB8WFK with Joe, AC5YC literally right behind. This was about 3:00 pm. They both found the in short order. After shooting the bull for a while, they both left. Well, not one else ever showed up at the T! That is partially my fault. About 4:30, Mike, K5ATM called on the call-in repeater. After giving him the hint that I was west of the river, I said I would reset the fox so that it would continue to transmit past 5:00pm. The Montreal fox controller only transmits for 4 hours. I went over to the fox, waited for a transmission to finish, shut the controller power off, reset the DIP switches, and turned the power back on. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. The controller had lost its mind.

The hunt was over. I informed everyone of the problem and packed up to head home. I meet Steve, AA5CJ and Eric, KD5IAG about 500 yards from where the T had been. They were on state road 46 where it met the dirt road I came driving down. I was sorry I'd messed up the controller. If I had let it go to 5:00 pm and time out, both Eric and Steve would have been able to find it easily. With this in mind, I got their milage and consider them to have found the T.

The results are:
Steve, AA5CJ 27 miles - Winner!
Joe, AB5YC 34.7
Jerry, WB8WFK 37.6
Eric, KD5IAG 40+
Dick, W5UFZ & Dee, K7UOD DNF
Mike, K5ATM & Debbie, KD5LOK & Charles, K9LLP DNF

But Mike did have a nice 2 hour hike in the foothills.

73's Mike, K5MJE

T-hunt report for: February 17, 2001
Huntmaster: Joe, AB5YC

It was a beautiful morning for a T-Hunt. Some wind, not much, and lots of sunshine. I was able to get the transmitters setup and turned on time even though two Country Sheriff's Deputies were watching me the whole time. It isn't natural for someone to be walking around planting ammo cans and carrying objects ( 2 meter J-Pole ) that could be mistaken for a rifle from a distance. Well, I was concerned. They sat there talking for about two hours.

The primary transmitter (145.565) was setup in an abandoned barbwire/T-post fence row near the intersection of Coors and Alameda. About half way between Wendys and the old Wal-Mart building. This transmitter was running 200mw into a camouflage painted J-Pole standing vertical in a space that looked like there should have had a fence post, but wasn't. The matching section and about 12" of coax was plainly visible. Most of the hunters had to bump into it before they saw it. Hidden in plain sight. The second transmitter (146.565) was setup a hundred yards South of the first beyond a large mound of dirt and out of sight from the first. I know that the 1 MHz spacing of the two transmitters make some of the active attenuators go crazy, but if your equipment has flaws, it is time to think about alternate hunting methods.

Remember the T-Hunters motto, "Be Prepared". Well, it's someone's motto. John (sorry, I didn't get your call written down) was the first on the scene at about 9:46. The practiced good T-Hunter technique and drove to the top of the mound of dirt to take his bearings. Surprise, John was directly between the transmitters. The signal was strong, but he believed that it was further away, took a bearing on a transmitter only 100 feet away and left the scene. Jerry, WB8WFK, was the next to arrive at about 10:35. The rest of the hunters arrived soon after. Several hunters didn't want to take the chance and cross the river at Alameda until they were sure on which side I had hidden it. Several walked from the river to Coors and had to return and get their vehicles and go and additional two blocks. YES, Success!!!

The results:
Ron WB8UWB 10.9 Winner
Mike K5JME 11.3
Jerry WB8WFK 12.4
John 12.9
Steve AA5CJ 13
Mike/Debbie K5ATM & KD5LOK

Rumor had it that Mike & Debbie were up on the West Mesa at one point. You can't believe all the rumors about me! I don't always hide on the West Mesa, nor do I always hide on the West Side. Just most of the time, Hi Hi. Anticipating what the hider is thinking is the super highway to Looserville. Have faith in your equipment. Then stomp it into the ground when it lies.

After nearly everyone left and while I was trying to find two loose screws, yes I have loose screws, two more hunters showed up. Dick and Dee(sp) arrived. They started hunting from Comanche and Tramway at 11:45 and arrived on scene at 12:15. After the performance of the Ramsey Doppler on the last hunt, they decided that it need some troubleshooting. One short and four crossed antenna lead wires later, they were ready for bear. Looks like they proved it too. Look out next hunt. Congratulations to Ron. Your just too good for us. While you were away it was a chance for a few others to win. Ron got a warning ticket during the hunt. Ron said it was for speeding. Some of us believe it was for driving backwards in an attempt to roll the odometer back a ways, Hi Hi. Next hunt will be Ron's.

73s, see you a the next hunt. Joe, AB5YC

T-hunt report for: February 4, 2001
Huntmasters: Mike, K5ATM & Debbie KD5LOK

The hunt started at 1:00 pm with the fox hidden in Bear Canyon arroyo - just west of Tramway and just north of Manitoba. The fox was operating at 1 watt into a two way power splitter. Each output of the power splitter was connected to a beam antenna through 100 feet of RG78 coax - providing approximately 0.25 watts per antenna. The antennas were about 200 feet apart and well hidden in bushes. The west most antenna was aimed east -- at Sandia peak and the east most antenna was aimed west - at the valley somewhere near the Nature Center. Our hope was to light up some small part of the west mesa and a portion of the peak well north of us in the hopes that it would look like we were on the west side aiming a beam at the peak. While this was a miserable failure the antenna pattern did cause some strange readings.

Joe's Doppler system was pretty deaf until he got within a couple of miles or so from the hunt site. Other hunters were pulled to trail heads east of Tramway -- both north and south of the hunt site. One hunter was pulled to a reflection in the Carlisle and Menaul area.

The mileage values (in the order of arrival) were:
11.8 Joe (AB5YC)
16.0 Steve (AA5CJ)
13.8 Eric (KD5IAG)
16.4 Dick (W5UFZ) and Dee (K7UOD)
29.1 John (KB5ENN)
Scott (KC5VVB) ran out of time a little after 3 and had to pack it in before finding the hunt site.

So it looks like Joe is our next hunt master.

T-hunt report for: January 20, 2001
Huntmaster: Mike, K5MJE

Hi all - Well, we had another great turn-out for this hunt. The transmitter was located a couple of hundred yards Northwest of the intersection of Powers Way Road and Douglas Avenue. The approximate location was 35 58.320' North by 106 44.366' West. The transmiter power was 1 watt to a horizontally polorized 3 element yagi hidden in a bush.

I understand that the signal was quite strong at the start, but became very screwy down near the river. After positioning the transmitter, I moved to a location about 1/2 mile further west with a clear view of the transmitter site. This removed the "clue" that we often have of a familiar vehicle parked near the T. Here is the results in order of arrival:

AB5YC 17.5
WB8WFK 16.0
W5UFZ 19.3
N5ZGT 16.2
K5ATM 12.6
AA5CJ 33.0
KB5ENN 40.0

As you can see, Mike K5ATM is the winner. Mike used the sometimes-risky strategy of hiking the last couple of miles. Perhaps we should require Mike to carry a pedometer? Another note: All hunters found the transmitter this time. Scott, KC5VVB pulled up with about 10 minutes to go before the controller stopped transmitting. Scott also organized things at the start with a very nicely made form to record names callsigns and starting milegages which he used to gather everyones information. Everyone except himself that is. Hence the 0 milage. ;-)

73 Mike, K5MJE

T-hunt report for: January 7, 2001
Huntmaster: Joe, AB5YC

Greetings Everyone! I am happy to report that we had a great turn-out for this hunt. The primary transmitter was located Northwest of Rio Rancho within a few hundred yards of the intersection of Northern Blvd and Rainbow. Transmit power was 200 mw to a vertically polorized J-Pole standing by a tree. There was no attempt to get a bounce off the mountain, but I understand that the Sandias were well illuminated. I was on high ground, but there was slightly higher ground in the direction of the start point. I put another transmitter in another tree about 200 yards North and down the hill.

Here is the results in order of arrival:

WB8WFK 28.15
K5MJE 23.6
N5ZGT 28.55
KD5IAG 32.3
K5ATM 25.9

As you can see, Mike K5MJE is the winner. He used his special snow weighted vehicle with the funny odometer, HI HI. Sorry to cut the hunt off like that. There were still two hunters out looking at about sundown. One team was ready to give up and the other was getting gas when I called them.

Don't be discouraged. Half of T-Hunting is experience. Knowing when not to loose faith in your equipment. In this case the signals in the low lying areas were bounces off the mountain. Stay on high ground as much as possible. Take good bearings and keep swinging that beam all the way around looking for the signal that's not coming from a mountain. (Works sometimes!)

Thanks for coming out. It would have been nicer if the wind wasn't blowing, but not a bad even still. 73s & see you next time. Joe AB5YC